NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA,
PLOT 91, CADASTRAL ZONE, JABI, ABUJA
FACULTY OF ARTS
DEPARTMENT OF LANGUAGES
JULY, 2017 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: ENG352
COURSE TITLE: DISCOURSE ANALYSIS
CREDIT UNIT: 3
TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION:Answer Any 3 Questions(Your correct use of language elements will earn you additional 3 marks for each question attempted.)
1. What is the relationship between text and context in Discourse Analysis? (20 marks)
2. (a) What is the importance of turn taking in DA?
(b) Discuss, with a minimum of two examples, what you understand by adjacency pairsin DA.
3. If you are given a topic like this: “The best president Nigeria ever had”, what tools will you employ to easily achieve lexical cohesion in your discourse?
4. (a) Give a brief note on each of Grice’s maxims. (5 marks)
(b) Discuss its applicability in modern Y2K age. (5 marks)
(c) Do you think the text below is violating any of Grice’s Maxim?
If yes, which of them. (You can choose more than one, if applicable)
Two homo sapiens, one male one female, ascended a certain geological protuberance to collect a hybrid of oxygen whose quantity is not specified. One member descends dramatically suffering mechanical damage to the cranial part of his anatomical structure. The second member follows the first in a series of rapid irregular disturbing movements. (10 marks)
5. “The general feeling of scholars in media and gender studies is that women are stereotyped in discourse, especially, in the media” (Rotimi 2010). Discuss.
You can get the soft copy for this course (2014 – to date) at a little token or the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Exam summary sample below