NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA,
PLOT 91, CADASTRAL ZONE, JABI, ABUJA
FACULTY OF ARTS
DEPARTMENT OF LANGUAGES
JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2018 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: ENG352
COURSE TITLE: DISCOURSE ANALYSIS
TIME ALLOWED: 3 HOURS
INSTRUCTION:Answer Any 3 Questions
1. What is Discourse Analysis and what distinguishes its study from Formal Linguistics?
2. “Discourse Analysis is a needless discipline, its uses and application is doubtful”. React to this assertion.
3. Critically appraise the role of context in Discourse Analysis.
4. Discourse is not neutral, rather, everything we say is ideologically loaded. To what extent is this assertion justifiable in the light of Critical Discourse Analysis (CDA)?
5. What are the methodological, ethical and practical issues to be taken into consideration in conducting research in Discourse Analysis?
You can get the soft copy for this course (2014 – to date) at a little token or the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Exam summary sample below