National Open University of Nigeria
14/16 Ahmadu Bello Way, Victoria Island, Lagos
School of Arts and Social Sciences
March/April 2014 Examination
COURSE CODE: ENG434
COURSE TITLE: Literary Stylistics
TIME ALLOWED: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: Answer 3 questions. Clarity and good organisation will be rewarded with an additional 1 Mark. Question 1 is COMPULSORY
1. ‘Stylistics has become so vibrant a field of study that it has drawn insights from a number of disciplines or fields.’ Discuss this statement in relation to any 3 types of Stylistics.
2. (a) What is Affective Stylistics? Apply Affective Stylistics to your reading of Ola Rotimi’s The Gods Are Not To Blame OR Elechi Amadi’s The Concubine.
(b) Give a brief description of the following dramatic terms:
vi. Tragic flaw
3. (a) Carry out a lexico-semantic analysis of the extract below:
Eleshin – Who speaks of pleasure? O, women, listen!
Pleasure palls. Our acts should have meaning.
The sap of the plantain never dries.
You have seen the young shoot swelling.
Even as the parent stalk begins to wither.
Women, let my going be likened to
The twilight hour of the plantain
(Death and the King’s Horseman, pp. 160)
(b) What is coherence? What is cohesion? (23 marks)
4. (a) What is conflict? Discuss the conflicts in the play, The Gods Are Not To Blame , between
Odewale and King Adetusa, and between Odewale and supernatural forces.
(b) Identify the noun modifier, head, and qualifier in the following sentences:
I. I have registered all my courses for next semester
II. Second semester examination timetable has been released
III. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph have three beautiful daughters
IV. Ukpo Ukpo is the new ENG 434 facilitator
V. Our institution is expecting the NUC team next week Tuesday
VI. Our committee has rounded off plans for the end of year party
VII. Lanre and Tope are good friends
VIII. Copperfield Estate was flooded yesterday
IX. Mile 12 market is often crowded on Saturdays
X. I will never forget lasy year’s business carnival
5. (a) What is an active sentence? What is a passive sentence?
(b) Change the following active sentences into passive ones:
I. The students are taught by the professor
II. The dishes are washed by John
III. Right now, Sarah is writing the letter
IV. Sam repaired the car
V. Many tourists have visited the spring
VI. Recently, Dupe has carried out the project
VII. They will have completed the project before the deadline
VIII. My mother would always make the pies
IX. I thought Sally was going to make a beautiful dinner tonight
X. The salesman was helping the customer when the thief came into the store
You can get the soft copy for this course or the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Exam summary sample below