NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
14-16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND LAGOS
SCHOOL OF ARTS AND SOCIAL SCIENCES
MARCH/APRIL 2015 EXAMINATION
ENG434: Literary Stylistics (3C)
TIME: 2 HOURS
INSTRUCTIONS: Answer THREE questions. 1 mark will be awarded for clarity and good organisation.
- What is a clause? Write short notes on the following: (i) Main or independent clause. (Ii)Subordinate or dependent clause. (13 Marks)
Among the 11 sentences below, identify which ones have either of the two types of clauses. The first one has been done for you:
- Lolade bumped against the old man ( Main Clause)
- I have enough money to last me the rest of my life
- I like couscous.
- Whoever turned the ovens off
- The excellence of a gift lies in how appropriate it is
- Which your wife sold me last week
- The car has broken down
- Rather than how valuable it is
- Who went to court on Saturday
- Whenever lazy students complain
- Cola spilled over the glass and splashed onto the counter
- What is a sentence? Write short notes on the following: (i) Simple Sentences; (ii) Compound Sentences; (iii) Complex Sentences (13 Marks)
Among the 11 sentences below, identify which ones are simple, compound or complex sentences. The first one has been done for you:
- The man whom you see is my brother.
- When you’re on the Internet, nobody knows you are a dog.
- Musa waited for the train.
- Mary and Samantha boarded the bus.
- Musa waited for the train, but the train was late.
- Mary and Samantha left on the bus before I arrived, so I did not see them at the bus station.
- After they left on the bus, Mary and Samantha realised that Joe was waiting at the bus station.
- The students are studying because they have a test tomorrow.
- The teacher returned the homework after she noticed the error.
- Tolu wanted to go to the shopping mall.
- The ducks quacked, and the chicks peeped.
- What is Coherence? What is Cohesion? (5 Marks)
Write short notes, with 2 examples each, on the following ways of giving a text Cohesion:
- Referential Cohesion
- Conjunctive Cohesion
- Substitutive Cohesion
- Elliptical Cohesion
- What is Point of View? (3 Marks)
Write short notes on the following, highlighting their advantages, with 2 examples of novels in each category:
- First Person Narration
- Omniscient Narration
- Third Person Narration
- Second Person Narration
4b. Discuss the point of view used in any novel of your choice. (10 Marks)
- What is Register? (2 Marks)
Give 5 registers each for the following fields:
5b. Describe the following dramatic devices, with an example each:
- Dramatic Irony
You can get the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Check the sample below