Home › Forums › All Colleges of Education Past Question and Answers › NATIONAL BUSINESS AND TECHNICAL EXAMINATIONS BOARD Biology 2005
- July 19, 2019 at 6:39 am #29693campusflavaKeymaster
NATIONAL BUSINESS AND TECHNICAL EXAMINATIONS BOARD
2005 MAY/JUNE NBC/NTC EXAMINATIONS
006-1 BIOLOGY (ESSAY)
PART I – INTRODUCTION TO BIOLOGY
1. (a) Mention FIVE beneficial uses of bacteria.
1. The decaying of dead organic material into humus which serve as plant nutrients/purification.
2. The production of composite manure.
3. Conversion of atmospheric nitrogen to nitrates through ammonia and nitrites, demystification of nitrates.
4. Vinegar making from alcohol.
5. Tanning of leather
6. Pitting of flax or jute
7. Curing of tobacco
8. Butter/Cheese/Cream making
9. Making vitamin B and K in large intestine of man
10. Digestion of cellulose in ruminants
11. Turning of sewage into fertilizer
12. Vaccine making by using weakened bacteria
13. Production of biogas
(b) State THREE places each where:
i. Viruses may be found
Air, Soil, water, saliva, blood plasma, semen. cells
ii. Bacteria may be found
Air, soil, water, dirt under the fingernail, in the body of living things, toilet/latrine, compost, gutter.
(c) State briefly the various methods that can be adopted in the prevention of viral disease in:
1. Stocking the farm with healthy animals
2. Feeding the animals with clean food
3. Keeping the animal in clean and tidy habnitat
4. Vaccinating the animals against viral disease
5. Raising disease resistant species or animals
6. Isolation of infected animals
7. Use of quarantine services.
1. Using the right planting distance, method and season.
2. Removing and destroying infected plants
3. spraying plants with pesticides at the right time
4. growing disease resistant crops
5. planting healthy seeds, seedlings and stem cuttings
6. control of vectors (e.g. in cassava mosaic)
PART II – FLOWERING AND SOIL SCIENCE
2. (a) Describe the external features of a named monocot-yledonous flowering
Oil palm tree, maize, rice, spear grass, sugarcane, onion, plantain, banana,
pineapple, bamboo, arrowroot, cocoyam.
1. roots are numerous, long and slender/fibrous
2. all the roots arise at the same point at the base of the stem
3. stem is long and cylindrical
4. stem shows distinct/clear nodes and internodes
5. stem show no branding, sometime covered by sheathing leaf bases.
6. leaf is long and narrow/slender/linear, with or without sheathing leaf
7. leaf is parallel – veined
8. flowers are small and numerous, usually dull coloured, not sw3eet
9. pendant stamens, feathery stigma on flowers.
(b) What is the role of green algae in an acquatic habitat?
1. primary producer
2. removes excess carbon dioxide
3. returns oxygen to the habitat
4. pollutes water
3. (a) Define the terms:
The process by which green plants manufacture carbohydrates from water and
carbon dioxide using sunlight and giving off oxygen as a by-product.
A process in which oxygen is used to break down organic matter to release
energy in all living cells, while water and carbon dioxide are released as waste
(b) What are the differences between photosynthesis and respiration?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.