WASSCE JUNE 2013 BIOLOGY THEORY QUESTIONS ESSAY AND ANSWERS

Scholarships Forums Waec Past Questions and Answers WASSCE JUNE 2013 BIOLOGY THEORY QUESTIONS ESSAY AND ANSWERS

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  campusflava 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

campusflava
    Keymaster

WASSCE JUNE 2013 BIOLOGY THEORY QUESTIONS ESSAY AND ANSWERS

1(a)(i) What is respiration ? (ii) In a tabular form, state four differences between gaseous exchange and aerobic respiration.

(b)(i) Explain the term residual air. (ii) What is the importance of residual air to mammals?

(c) State four characteristics features associated with respiratory structures. (d)(i) What is oxygen debt ? (ii) Outline three activities that can result in oxygen debt.

2.(a) What is photosynthesis?

(b) List: (i) four external factors; (ii) two internal factors; that affect the rate of photosynthesis.

(c)(i) List the major products of the light dependent stage of photosynthesis. (ii) State the importance of each of the products listed in 2(c)(i) above.

(d)(i) Explain why there are no green plants at the lower depths of some lakes. (ii) State why decomposers are important to flowering plants.

3.(a)(i) What is ecological succession? (ii) Describe the process of ecological succession on a bare plot of land.

(b) Explain the following terms: (I) biosphere; (ii) population; (iii) community; (iv) ecosystem.

(c)Name one instrument each used for measuring : (i) relative humidity; (ii) wind speed;

4(a)(i) What is conservation? (ii) State six factors responsible for the decline of the abundance and variety of wildlife.

(b) Outline six ways in which the government can improve the situation in 4(a)(ii) above.

(c)(i) What is Eutrophication? (ii) State two causes of eutrophication.

PART III

FOR CANDIDATES IN NIGERIA ONLY

7.(a) Describe the carbon cycle.

(b) State the functions of : (i) nitrogen fixing bacteria; (ii) nitrifying bacteria; (iii) denitrifying bacteria; in nature.

8(a) What is excretion? (ii) List the excretory organs in humans and name one waste product excreted by each organ.

(b) How does the mammalian kidney function as an excretory organ?

(c) Name the excretory organs in : (i) insects; (ii) earthworms.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.