February 22, 2019 at 4:28 pm #28253
WASSCE JUNE 2014 BIOLOGY 2 THEORY QUESTIONS ESSAY AND ANSWERS (PART 1)
1(a)(i) List three characteristics of living organisms.
(ii) Explain briefly the characteristics listed in 1(a)(i) above
- Movement/Locomotion : Living things change position of the whole body/parts of the body from one place to another in search of food/shelter/mates etc.
- Excretion : This involves the removal/getting rid of waste products of cell metabolism, metabolic waste are poisonous if allowed to accumulate.
- Respiration : This is the breakdown of food substances by aerobic or anaerobic respiration to release energy need for all processes of life.
- Reproduction : This is the ability of living organisms to produce new individual of their own kind, this ensures the continuity of the species of organism.
- Irritability/Sensitivity/Response : Response or reaction of organism towards change in the environment, to ensure survival.
- Growth/Development : This is the irreversible increase in size and weight of an organism which leads to complexity and maturation.
- Nutrition/Feeding : The process involve in obtaining or manufacturing of food. It can be autotrophic or heterotrophic and utilizing it for growth and maintenance/life process.
- Competition : Ability of organisms to struggle for all necessity of life, to survive in their environment.
- Adaptation : is the ability of an organism to adjust to change in environment for survival.
- Life Span/Death : All living organisms have definite period of existence, all organisms die.
(b) In a tabular form, state four differences between plants and animals.
(c)(i) Name one organism that exhibits both plant and animal features.
(ii) State four animal features and two plant features possessed by the organism name in 1(c)(i) above.
2(a) Define the following terms: (I) elimination; (ii) excretion; (iii) secretion.
(b) Describe the digestion of boiled fish in the gut of humans.
(c) Make a diagram 8cm-10cm long of a longitudinal section of a villus and label fully.
3(a) Explain briefly the following ecological terms: (I) biosphere; (ii) habitat;
(b) Describe the mode of nutrition in named carnivorous plant.
(c) State three reasons why the dispersal of fruits and seeds are important.
(d)State six methods of conserving soil.
4. A survey to determine blood groups was carried out on 250 people living in a community. The results are represented in the table below.
Blood group Percentage
(a)(i) Explain the term co-dominance.
(ii) Calculate the number of individuals with co-dominant blood group.
What is the total number of individuals in the table that are able to donate blood to an accident victim with blood group B?
(b) A man whose blood group is heterozygous A is married to a woman whose blood group is AB. With the aid of a genetic diagram, suggest the possible blood groups of their children.
FOR CANDIDATES IN NIGERIA ONLY
6(a) State five reasons why animals move from place to place.
(b) State one function each of the following structures found in plants: (I) epidermis; (ii) phloem (iii) Sclerenchyma.
(c) Give two examples each of the following types of organism: (I) parasitic plants; (ii) saprophytes.
(d) State two adaptive features of plants which inhabit salt water Swamp.
(e) State two factors each which result in: (I) increase; (ii) decrease, in population density.
(f) Mention four ways in which modern agricultural activities may threaten the survival of species.
(g) State three reasons why mitosis is important to living organisms.
(h) State three causes of food spoilage
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.