(a)(i) List three characteristics of living organisms.
(ii) Explain briefly the characteristics listed in 1(a)(i) above
- Movement/Locomotion : Living things change position of the whole body/parts of the body from one place to another in search of food/shelter/mates etc.
- Excretion : This involves the removal/getting rid of waste products of cell metabolism, metabolic waste are poisonous if allowed to accumulate.
- Respiration : This is the breakdown of food substances by aerobic or anaerobic respiration to release energy need for all processes of life.
- Reproduction : This is the ability of living organisms to produce new individual of their own kind, this ensures the continuity of the species of organism.
- Irritability/Sensitivity/Response : Response or reaction of organism towards change in the environment, to ensure survival.
- Growth/Development : This is the irreversible increase in size and weight of an organism which leads to complexity and maturation.
- Nutrition/Feeding : The process involve in obtaining or manufacturing of food. It can be autotrophic or heterotrophic and utilizing it for growth and maintenance/life process.
- Competition : Ability of organisms to struggle for all necessity of life, to survive in their environment.
- Adaptation : is the ability of an organism to adjust to change in environment for survival.
- Life Span/Death : All living organisms have definite period of existence, all organisms die.