1. What mass of silver is deposited when 96500C of electricity is passed through a solution containing silver ions?
2. Which of these groups of finer the react with cold water?
A. Mg, Zn and Fe
B. Sn, Pb and Cu
C. Ca, Mg and Zn
D. K, Na and Ca
3. To 2.0cm3 of a solution of sample X, NaOH solution was added drop by drop until in excess, a reddish-brown ppt insoluble in excess NaOH. The cation contained in sample X is:
4. Two radioactive elements Q and S have half-life periods of 10 hours and 20 hours respectively. Therefore,
A. S decays faster than Q.
B. Q is twice as stable as S.
C. emits fewer particles than S.
D. S is more stable than Q.
5. Complete oxidation of CH3CH2CH2OH yields:
6. Give the IUPAC name for this compound
A. Aromatic methyl alcohol
C. Methyl Benzenol
D. -3-methyl phenol
7. The ground state electronic configuration of calcium, Ca (Z = 20) is:
C. 1S22S2 2P63S24S2
8. What type of bond is indicated by the arrow in the following structure?
A. Covalent bonds
B. Ionic bond
C. Dative bond
D. Hydrogen bond
9. Which of the following reactions gives the silver mirror product.
A. CH2 = CH2 + Ag+
B. CH ≡ CH + Ag+
C. CH3 − CH3 + Ag+
D. CH2 − CHCl + Ag+
10. The product of the reaction:
Benzene + CH3COCl is
D. Acetyl benzene.
11. Potassium nitrate decomposes according to the equation 2KNO3 2KNO2 + O2.
What volume of oxygen will be produced at STP? Given (N=14, O=16, K=39).
A. 0.5 litre
B. 1.0 litre
C. 22.4 litre
D. 11.2 litre
12. Which of the following statement is correct when hydrogen peroxide reacts with acidified potassium iodide solution.
A. Potassium iodate is formed
B. Potassium peroxide is formed
C. Free iodine is produced
D. Oxygen is given off.
13. Which of the following chemical reaction is not exothermic?
A. N2(g) + O2(g) ⟶ 2NO(g)
B. 3O2(g) ⟶ 2O3(g)
C. SO(g) + H2O(l) ⟶ H2SO3(l)
D. SO3(g) +H2O(l) ⟶ H2SO4(l)
14. Select the equation representing, the action of steam on red hot iron.
A. Fe + H2O ⟶ FeO + H2
B. 2Fe + 3H2O ⟶Fe2O + H2
C. 3Fe + 4H2O ⟶ Fe (OH)3 + H2
D. Fe + 4H2O ⟶ Fe3O4 + 4H2
15. Permanent hardness of water is due to the presence of calcium sulphate which is not softened by boiling. Which of the following chemical is normally used to soften it?
16. A suitable indicator used for titration of oxalic acid and sodium hydroxide is.
C. Methyl orange
D. one of the above.
17. Which of the following mixtures can be separated by Sublimation?
A. Sand + ammonium chloride + 2H2O
B. Sand + Sodium chloride
C. Iodine + Sulphur
18. In the equation below:
NO3- + 8H+ ⟶ NH 2H2O
Nitrogen is reduced from oxidation state.
A. +4 to -3
B. +5 to -3
C. +4 to +3
D. +5 to +3
19. Nitrogen is very uncreative because_____
A. Much energy is needed to break the bond between the two nitrogen atoms in the molecules.
B. Less energy is needed to break the bond between the two nitrogen atoms in the molecules
C. Of the electrovalent bond between the two atoms
D. Of the covalent bond between the two atoms.
20. A brand of ink containing cobalt (II), copper (II) and iron can best be separated into its various components by:
A. fractional crystallization.
B. fractional distillation.