NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
UNIVERSITY VILLAGE, PLOT 91, NNAMDI AZIKWE EXPRESSWAY,
FACULTY OF LAW
JULY 2017_1 SEMESTER EXAMINATION
Course Code: LAW 411
Course Title: OIL AND GAS LAW I
Course unit: 4 UNITS
Time Allowed: 2½ HOURS
Instruction: ANSWER QUESTION 1 (ONE) AND ANY OTHER 3 (THREE) QUESTIONS. (QUESTION 1 (ONE) ATTRACTS 25 MARKS)
1. Xavier a British citizen has lived in Nigeria all his life and is engaged in a big oil business. As a well known name in the industry the rejection of his application for an oil exploration licence came to him as a surprise. He has done so much for the oil industry for which his business associates are grateful. His friends have assured him that there must have been a mistake somewhere and could be corrected in court. Please advise him.
2. State the permits that should be obtained from the appropriate authorities before oil production can take place in Nigeria and also write notes on the peculiarities of each of them.
3(a) MT Paris, a French vessel sailed into the Nigerian waters legally to conduct scientific research. The vessel was sighted in the territorial waters of Nigeria fishing and was arrested by the officials from the Lagos State government. The Federal Government has revoked the approval granted to MT Paris. MT Paris has gone to court contending that the government has no right to revoke its license before the expiration of the period originally granted. Advise the parties as to their rights and liabilities.
3(b) Would it have made any difference if MT Paris argued that they were conducting scientific research in the territorial waters and as such are not liable?
4. It has been argued in many quarters that oil in Nigeria is a resource curse to the country. Discuss.
5. Sharon was granted an oil exploration license two years ago over Igodo area and has been making effective use of the licence. In March this year, she was surprised to hear that Ewedo Nigeria Ltd has been granted an oil prospecting licence over a portion of the lgodo area .He is not happy about this development especially as his application for an oil mining lease in April, 2017 was not successful. Advise him as to his chances in succeeding in court.
6. In the last ten years the Izoma community has been suffering from massive environmental oil pollution caused by the drilling of oil in their community by Maza oil company. The community is no longer able to farm or fish on their lands due to the pollution. The company is offering to build one hospital for the community as compensation. The community alleges that negligence on the part of Maza oil in carrying on their operations is the cause of the pollution and has stopped the company from further operations. The community has approached you as a lawyer to advise them based on relevant decided cases.
You can get the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Check anoda sample below