NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
MARCH/APRIL 2014 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: MTH 417
COURSE TITLE: ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY
TIME ALLOWED: 3 HOURS
INSTRUCTION: QUESTION ONE IS COMPULSORY. ANSWER ANY OTHER THREE QUESTIONS.
1. State and explain each of the four Maxwell’s equations. 20marks
2. A) State Gauss’s divergence theorem and 8marks
b) State Stokes theorem. 8marks
3. Apply Gauss’s divergence theorem to the first two of Maxwell’s equations. Compare their resulting equations.
4. A) Derive the wave equation for the electric field, using the third of Maxwell’s equations and take the curl of both sides 9marks
B) Derive the wave equation for the magnetic field. Using the last of Maxwell’s equations, 8marks
5. a) Determine whether light waves are longitudinal or transverse waves. 10marks
b) State the Lenz’s law 7marks
The total obtainable marks are 70 marks. Good Luck.
You can get the soft copy for this course or the exam summary answers for this course from 08039407882
Exam summary sample below