NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA
14/16 AHMADU BELLO WAY, VICTORIA ISLAND, LAGOS
SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT SCIENCES
MARCH/APRIL 2014 EXAMINATION
COURSE CODE: BUS 838 CREDIT UNIT: 2
COURSE TITLE: Strategic Management
TIME ALLOWED: 2 hours
Instructions: 1. Attempt question Number one (1) and any other two (2) questions
2. Question number 1 is compulsory and carries 30 marks while the
0ther questions carry 20 marks each.
3. Present all your points in coherent and orderly manner
Question No. 1 (COMPULSORY)
1. There are factors in the external environment of every organization which affect
daily activities. These factors are outside the control of the organization.
Write short notes on the following five factors in the external environment:
(i) Demographic factor
(ii) Cultural factor
(iii) Natural factor
(iv) Economic factor
(v) Political factor
2. (a) What IS “SWOT Analysis”?
(b) Why is SWOT Analysis essential for a firm that desires to achieve thee set corporate
Objectives. Explain in detail the benefits.
3. (a) Opportunities and threats always exist in the environment of every organization.
Give a hypothetical example of an event that can serve as an opportunity for a firm to
increase its profitability.
(b) Provide an example of a contingent eventuality that can lead to huge loss of revenue in
4. With regard to SWOT analysis operational strategies, write short notes on:
(i) Maxi-maxi strategy
(ii) Mini-maxi strategy
(iii) Mini-mini strategy
5. (a) Define strategic management process.
(b) What is strategic analysis and how is it carried out in an organization?
For the 2015 – till date past questions for this course CLICK HERE
Contact me for your TMA, GST302 Business plan writeup, Project Writeup and also get your Exam Summary for this course.